Thursday, October 21, 2010

spring

This morning I got up I walked out into the garden (as is often my first instinct) and I noticed that a poppy that I have been waiting for has popped!  What joy!

Who could believe that something as unsightly as this:

could turn itself up the right way and become this:
I'm not sure what sort this is as I bought 3 different types of seeds from ebay and when they sprouted I had already confused myself.

I'm pretty sure these are Flanders:
they look delicate but are so hardy, they have survived wind and driving rain and are still flowering profusely.

I also ordered California Poppy and Peonies.  I think this is a California Poppy:
A herb that I have used very successfully in clinic to treat anxiety and insomnia.  It is beauuuuutiful.

So I am pretty convinced that the one that popped today is not a peony as they have layers of petals.  It was still a welcome surprise and adds to the beauty of my poppy patch.

On further inspection, I also noticed that a cactus has flowered:
What an amazing colour!  We have quite a few of these around the pool and they will bare dragon fruit if we can protect them from the grubs that feasted on them last year.

I also noticed that my first tomato of the season has set:
Grow little tomato grow!  I would show you the strawberries but we keep greedily eating them as they ripen and they are sweeeet. 

So, the moral of the story is that I am going to have a wonderful day today as this is how it has started and I just wanted to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment